Mandy Chow - June 2nd, 2022
The benefits of using a birthing ball
The birthing ball is also called the doula ball. By using the birthing ball correctly, it can help pregnant women give birth naturally, relieve back pain, and avoid muscle tension. Therefore, it is not only necessary for birthing, but there are many benefits to using birthing balls before birthing.
What is the birthing ball?
- First of all, the birthing ball refers to the use of a large soft and elastic exercise ball, which relieves the pain and discomfort by constantly moving the body of the expecting mother. Compared with ordinary yoga balls, the delivery ball is better in texture, softer, and more suitable for pregnant women.
- Secondly, the delivery balls are generally divided into 2 models, 55cm and 65cm. Generally, 65cm is used, and the shorter one uses 55cm.
- Finally, the birthing ball is usually inflated at 90%, and it feels soft, not too hard. You can sit on it and move up and down right away!
Generally speaking, in this way, women can choose a more comfortable position to give birth, and the fetus can also adopt a better posture to descend or rotate, thereby effectively relieving labor pain and shortening the production time. However, there are not many hospitals that can use doula balls at present.
Trideer Extra Thick Yoga & Exercise Ball Black
The benefits of birthing balls for pregnant women
- It helps the fetal head to descend and help smooth delivery;
- It can relieve the pressure on the pelvic muscles from the descending fetal head and relieve labor pain;
- It can also exercise the muscles of the pelvis, which helps the mother to reduce pain during childbirth;
- It can change the inclination of the pregnant woman's pelvis, correct the problem of pelvic deformation, and help to carry out natural childbirth;
- Prenatal practice with delivery balls to exercise the elasticity of buttocks, thighs and abdominal muscles, which is helpful for postpartum body and body shape recovery;
- Pregnant women sitting on the yoga ball is conducive to natural labor, the healthy development of the baby, and the promotion of blood circulation and metabolism in the body.
Benefits of a birthing ball during labor
It can relieve labor pain. Ball birthing can promote pelvic relaxation and fetal descent in pregnant women. In the case of an inverted fetus, birthing ball also helps the rotation of the fetus. In the second stage of labor, if you use the birthing ball to take a squat position, you can expand the pelvic space, so it can relieve labor pains during labor.
Postpartum benefits of birthing balls
Fast postpartum recovery. During childbirth, there is no pressure on the genitals, so postpartum recovery is fast. In addition, it can maintain the elasticity of the buttocks, thighs, and abdominal muscles, so it is beneficial to restore the original body shape after childbirth.
Precautions for using birthing balls
Before using the birthing ball, it is recommended that pregnant mothers eat more high-calorie foods and soups to replenish water and nutrition to ensure energy during production, so that they can be full of energy and give birth smoothly. In addition, expectant mothers should not be burdened with thoughts, try to keep their spirits happy and relax themselves. When the contractions begin, you can take a deep breath in and exhale slowly, which can effectively relieve tension and reduce pain.