There are many versions to the Extended Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose, and this is the second one that teaches us to balance our body weight on one leg, while simultaneously stretching. With dedicated practice we will eventually learn to remain poised with a yoga strap in challenging situations even off the mat.
【Benefits to use yoga straps for “Extended Hand to Big Toe”】
1.Strengthens and tones the thighs, calves, and ankles
2.Stretches the hamstrings
3.Opens up the space between the shoulder blades
4.Opens and strengthens the hips and pelvic muscles
5.Tones the abdominal muscles
6.Develops a calm and focused mind
【Instructions for how to use yoga straps for “Extended Hand to Big Toe”】
1. Begin standing with your feet together or hip distance apart.
2. Shift your weight to your left foot. Slowly draw your right knee up toward your chest and wrap one loop of the yoga strap around the ball of your foot. Hold the strap in your right hand. Rest your left hand on your left hip.
3. Straighten your spine. Strongly engage your abdominal and leg muscles. Straighten your left leg, but do not lock your knee.
4. Exhale, and extend your right leg forward.
5. Once you are steady, extend your right leg out to your right, keep the spine straight and your shoulders relaxed.
6. Drop your right hip slightly, so it is level with your left hip.
7. Turn your head to gaze beyond your left shoulder.
8. Hold for 5-20 breaths. To release, bring your leg back to center. Draw your knee back to your chest, then slowly lower your foot to the floor. Repeat on the opposite side for the same amount of time.
【Contraindications when use a yoga strap for “Extended Hand to Big Toe”】
Any recent or chronic ankle or low back injury